Minor job of the day – strap the battery down

24 06 2010

When I got my Eunos, it took me a while to notice that the battery wasn’t actually held down by any more than the positive and negative terminals. On closer inspection, the original Westco battery had been swapped out for an aftermarket one, and presumably the retaining metal work didn’t fit, so the previous owner had just gone without.
This also explains the tiny mark on the rear wing, where the corner of the battery must have dented the wing from the inside.
In usual Landwomble fashion, I’d remedied this using some particularly cheap and low-tech tools: in this case, cable-ties. Enough of these daisy-chained together and cinched tight seemed to work, with a folded up dust cloth between battery and wing just in case it ever loosened. It’s been OK for 6 months of pretty, well, spirited driving.
I noticed whilst doing this that the rubber tubes that allow battery gasses to vent to the outside world without corroding the wing were missing. Still, how bad could that be? Batteries can’t vent *that* much gas, can they?

Anyway, given the MOT is fast approaching, I decided I should bolt it down properly – sourced a battery clamp from The Bay for £20, and fitted today.

When I removed the battery to fit it, I noticed that the dust cloth I’d placed behind the battery had a neat hole burnt through it directly opposite the vent hole on the wing side. Oops. Perhaps those vent tubes were fitted by Mazda for a reason, rather than as a whim.
A quick trip to Halfrauds for a length of windscreen washer pipe, a T-junction and a couple of connectors and I’d made up a replacement for the missing factory vent tubes, venting out of the convenient hole in the floor adjacent to the battery.

As my replacement battery’s a little taller than the OEM Westco one, I needed to remove it in order to fit the top clamp. Disconnecting is easy, but by christ it’d be easy to short that positive terminal to earth whilst working on it. Carefully disconnected and wrapped the positive terminal in gaffa tape first, to avoid a stray spanner shorting the terminals.

It’s in now, and all I’ve got to do is work out how to programme the impenetrable aftermarket Sony head unit.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: